Day 8: Home



That hut in the middle with all the stuff on it… that is my hut for 6 weeks! Two others were in there as well. The hut, or Nosy Cabana was very full of character. Complete with various gecko holes, and a questionable ticking noise that was more than likely a cockroach munching on the wiring. I’m pretty sure this cockroach was the reason we lost power to the main light in our hut 1/2 way through the expedition. The first night in our hut was great. The beds aren’t ideal, and the pillows are lumpier but I was relieved to be, ‘home’. Falling asleep and waking up to the waves is a very unusual sound to me, yet it is so instantly comforting. I fell asleep at 8:30p last night. It was amazing. It gets dark at 6:30p here, and with limited lighting it is very easy to be misguided by the time of day. I was up at 5:30a feeling so refreshed and excited to spend an entire day at my new home.

In the morning necessary unpacking and organizing took place. Along with assembling clothes drying lines and securing mosquito netting. I have quickly learned that duct tape isn’t a sufficient way to hold up mosquito netting when in a humid climate. Luckily I have packed an unnessesary amount of string to rig up a wonderful, fall-proof mosquito shelter (or as I like to call it, “The Fortress”).

The staff here are incredible. They all seem so knowledgable and well-travelled with the most interesting stories. Believe it or not, though, one of the staff members grew up in Strathmore… what are the odds? (literally, I’d like to know the odds of that happening.)

After a small breakfast of toast and eggs most of the volunteers went out to swim the mandatory 400m swim in the ocean. I’m still uncomfortable having seaweed touch me but hopefully that changes. It was very nice to be swimming, regardless of green slimy stuff in my hair. The sun is hot and the sand is fine!

There was so many sea shells everywhere

There was so many sea shells everywhere

Today is mostly an orientation day. Learning about the site, our duties, water filtration, and safety stuff. We also get to meet some locals who help out Blue Ventures. Joslynn, a local woman gathers our washing and charges 300 arairy per item. (That equals about $0.21). She washes them and has them back to you the same day…washed and dried. She won’t take womens underwear though…it’s a cultural thing. Papousy is a young girl who, once or twice a day, comes by with fresh baking to sell us. She brings fish samosa’s and boko boko. Boko boko is basically like a Tim-bit with chocolate filling. These are really really good!

Today’s views, from sunrise to sunset, were absolutely stunning! We even woke up to a beautiful, double rainbow. DSC_3294


One thought on “Day 8: Home

  1. this place sure looks enchanting despite some challenges. Very relaxing. your hut looks beautiful. Mosquito singing you s to sleep hahaha. It get dark 6.30, early to sleep and early to rise, wake up to the sounds of waves.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s